Here you will find links to scientific publications, public reports, general information, and news and dissemination material on all aspects of Arctic shipping.
Listed below are links to other relevant external material, including research on Arctic shipping, activities of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and the European Union, as well as to technical databases and other sources of relevant specialised material.
Arctic Regional Hydrographic Commission
- On October 6, 2010, the five Arctic Coastal States; Canada, Denmark, Norway, the Russian Federation and the United States, under the leadership of Canada established the Arctic Regional Hydrographic Commission (ARHC).
A new integrated EU policy for the Arctic adopted
- In April 2016, the High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and the European Commission adopted a policy proposal that will guide the actions of the European Union in the Arctic region.
- The International Maritime Organization (IMO) has adopted the International Code for Ships Operating in Polar Waters
- The Arctic Commitment is an initiative by the Clean Arctic Alliance and cruise ship operator Hurtigruten, and calls on businesses and organisations to step forward and call for a phase-out of polluting heavy fuel oil (HFO) from Arctic shipping.
Polar Ship Operations 2nd Edition
- The Nautical Institute has published a new edition of its acclaimed Polar Ship Operations – A Practical Guide, by Captain Duke Snider FNI.
Polar Prediction Matters
- Polar Prediction Matters (PPM) is a non-peer reviewed forum initiated as a means to foster the dialogue between those that research, develop, and provide polar environmental forecasts and those that use (or could use) polar environmental forecasts to guide socio-economic decisions.
Arctic Shipping Best Practice Information Forum
- The aim of the Forum is to raise awareness of its provisions amongst all those involved in or potentially affected by Arctic marine operations and to facilitate the exchange of information and best practices between the Forum members on specific shipping topics, including but not limited to; hydrography, search and rescue logistics, industry guidelines and ship equipment, systems and structure.